11.27.2012

Christmas Quotes

I love books.  
Scratch that, I love words.  
Any words that edify, jump off the page into my heart, that make me think hard or change my perspective.  


At Christmas I love pulling out Christmas books and setting them out on the coffee table.  Kids books for my children, Dikens and Alcott for me.  When I was small my mom did the same and curling up to Amy Grant I would read all the parables and look at the beautiful artistry.  




Last year I found a clearance book designed specifically for coffee tables and knew I had to get it.  Christmas on this holy night is a collection of quotes and Bible verses with gorgeous fonts and colors. 
 





Rather than just setting it out on the table I decided to pull out several of the quotes 
I really liked (and fit!) and put them in frames.  




And viola!  One of my new favorite decorations!  







The quotes are as follows:

  • "The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God" C.S. Lewis
  • "For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given;  And the government will be upon His shoulder.  And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."  Isaiah 9:6
  • "Christmas is the most stunning rescue story of all time" Anonymous
  • "One night ... among the wrinkled hills of Bethlehem ... God, who knows no before or after, entered time and space.  God who knows no boundaries, took on the shocking confines of a baby's skin, the ominous restraints of mortality."  Philip Yancey
  • "This is the great mystery of Christmas that continues to give us comfort and consolation;  we are not alone on our journey."  Henri Nouwen
Favorite Christmas books for old and young (italicized are particular favorites):
  • Christmas Stories by Max Lucado
  • Why the Nativity? by David Jeremiah
  • Great Joy by Kate DiCamillo
  • The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado
  • Mystery in the Stable by Lisa Flinn and Barbara Younger
  • The Littlest Magi by Chris Auer
  • The Pine Tree Parable by Liz Curtis Higgs
  • Christmas in the Barn by Margaret Wise Brown
  • Santa's Favorite Story by Hisako Aoki and Ivan Gantschev
  • The Niht before Christmas (I like the one illustrated by Leonard Weisgard)
  • The Nutcracker, by E.T.A. Hoffman, I like the one illustrated by Don Daily and the one illustrated by Vladmir Vagin.  They both name the main character Clara rather than Marie.  As we have a Clara I prefer those!  
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
  • The Quiet Little Woman; A Christmas Story by Louisa May Alcott
  • A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
  • The Cricket on the Hearth by Charles Dickens
  • The Chimes by Charles Dickens

What are some of your favorite Christmas Books?

May you have a blessed Christmas season surrounded by reminders of 
His sacrifice and blessed companionship.  - R

No comments: